Saturday, March 30, 2013

Four-year-olds Speak Interogation

**In the spirit of full disclosure, I am writing this blog from our spare bedroom, where I have called sanctuary. The lights are dim, the white noise is on and I am trying to recover from an Extroverted overload.

Living with a four-year-old is like living with a member of Homeland Security. The questions are ubiquitous and unrelenting. In fact, I'm quite certain that Homeland Security is missing out on a powerful asset. Seriously, Four-year-olds speak Interogation!

***
 
Walking right up behind me when I'm sneaking a quick snack, "What are you eating?"
Don't worry about it, I say.
"Are you eating a cookie?"
No! I sit on the couch and he comes over to sniff my mouth, "Chocolate?"
Sigh. Yes.
"Can I have some?"
 
***
 
Knocking on the bathroom door "Mama, what are you doing in there?"
Still knocking on the bathroom door "I didn't hear you wash your hands!"
 
***
 
"Mama I want to leave now!"
We will leave in 10 minutes, I say.
"How much is ten minutes? Four?"
No, TEN. Count it. It's more than four.
"Five?"
No. TEN.
"One, two, three, four, ten?"
AAAAHHHHH!
***
 
I'm going to take a break from answering questions now!
"What does that mean?"
It means I'm not going to answer any more questions for a little while.
"No more questions?"
I nod.
"Yes or no?"

2 comments:

  1. When my mother got to this point, she used to say that she was no longer going to answer to "Mom." She would be changing her name, and she wasn't going to tell us her new name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, so familiar. My youngest is a 5 year old very social being, and he wears this INTJ out. He is going to have a blast when he hits school, he'll know everyone. At the same age I was hiding behind tables and pretending not to be there. I guess that's how INTJs get quiet time at preschool 😀. Last year, the whole drive to preschool and back, he made me converse without cease in the various funny voices of his stuffed animals. Every time. Fortunately we have now moved on to discussing planets, which I guess is slightly better. Time to get some audio books!

    ReplyDelete